(Current as of March 12, 2021 at 2:10 PM)
Our Senior Companion Program continues to link volunteers with new remote opportunities including the expansion of wellness check-in calls. We will be resuming service to two stations for which volunteer activities had been suspended at the start of the pandemic. Our volunteers are continuing a telephone-based socialization program in which Senior Companion volunteers connect directly with their clients by phone.
For updates on Benjamin Rose Institute on Aging’s response to the COVID-19, please visit www.benrose.org/COVID-19.
If you are an older adult who enjoys helping and spending time with others, Benjamin Rose Institute on Aging’s Senior Companion program can provide you the opportunity to offer your companionship and assistance to other older adults who may be lonely and isolated. As a Senior Companion, you will assist your peers with small tasks, provide a listening ear and share in friendly conversation.
You will also help your peers with:
- Running occasional errands
- Staying engaged in enjoyable activities at home or in their local community
- Light meal preparation
To become a Senior Companion, you must:
- Be 55 years of age or over
- Be in physical condition that will allow you to take part in Senior Companion tasks without risk to your health
- Live in the Greater Cleveland area
- Be able to pass a background screening
- Be able to volunteer a minimum of 15 hours a week, Monday through Friday
- Be open to serving in adult day care centers, senior centers and senior housing complexes
As a Senior Companion volunteer, you may also be eligible for a stipend, reimbursement for transportation and meals, on-duty insurance and an annual physical exam if your income is within the program’s guidelines. We provide training and mentoring to assist you in taking on your role as a Senior Companion. We also provide training in recognizing the signs of elder abuse, self-neglect and exploitation in order to help you contribute to your companion’s overall safety.
The Senior Companion Program provides programming and volunteer orientation support in partnership with the City of Cleveland Department of Aging and Hospice of the Western Reserve.
For more information about the Benjamin Rose Institute on Aging Senior Companion Program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.