Financial Health & Wellness
Financial Counseling & Coaching
Whether you've had a foreclosure, want to buy a house, need to get out of debt, or are having a financial crisis, ESOP's Financial Empowerment Coaches can help you set financial goals and make a plan to achieve them.
Benefits Assessments & Application Assistance
The Benefits Enrollment Center can see if you qualify for the benefits available from more than 1,300 federal, state and local programs like help with utilities, food, transportation, housing assistance, and more.
Connecting Our Seniors to Technology
Our free computer classes can help older adults learn how to use the internet safely and confidently with the support of both technological and financial coaching.
Matched Savings Program
The Matched Savings Program helps you build emergency savings together with the assistance of our Financial Empowerment Coaches! We will match $1 for $1 up to $500 after 12 months in the program and all of the program criteria have been met.
Financial Education Workshops Callout
What to Know for Medicare Open Enrollment
Every year, Medicare’s Open Enrollment period runs from October 15 to December 7. As a caregiver, you undoubtedly know how important insurance coverage is to securing your loved one the affordable care they need when they need it. What can be less certain, however, is knowing which exact program and options your loved one is qualified for and would most benefit from. As much as you want to help them through the process of enrolling in Medicare, you may be struggling to understand it yourself. The good news is that by learning the various benefits covered by different plans, you can put yourself in a better position to care for your loved one’s health needs and find the right plan for them.Read More
Financial Options for Renters and Homeowners Impacted by COVID-19
Every emergency requires a nuanced response, and the impacts of this pandemic, both short-term and long-term, are difficult to anticipate with certainty at this time. However, history demonstrates time and again that those that are most vulnerable even in times of economic and social stability generally suffer the greatest in times of turmoil. For those of us who are struggling to make our mortgage and rental payments, there are resources and up-to-date information available to help.Read More
Recognizing COVID-19 Scams
As COVID-19 impacts lives around the world, we may feel vulnerable, confused and in need of information, whether on how to keep ourselves and loved ones safe, or how to help support the doctors and nurses who work tirelessly to save lives. Sadly, the uncertainty of the times has also given rise to people who seek to take advantage of this vulnerability and confusion through scams, misinformation and false promises of cures and treatments. Our older loved ones may be particularly vulnerable to these scams as well. According to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), adults over the age of 60 lose money to scams at twice the rate of people between 20 and 59.Read More
Tax Tips for Older Adults for the 2019 Tax Season: Understanding Qualified Medical Expenses
While most people agree that it’s hard to look forward to the paperwork and headache of tax season, for older adults managing medical bills, taking advantage of tax deductibles can be financially beneficial. According to a National Bureau of Economic Research study, Medicare, Medicaid, private insurance and other government programs on average will cover about 80 percent of an older adult’s healthcare costs; however, this leaves 20 percent of costs financed out-of-pocket, and for older adults who are from low income households, retired or on a budget, this can take a huge bite out of their savings.Read More
What We Can Do about Robocalls
The term robocall has been around since the 1990s, but in the last few years, they’ve become an ever-present part of our lives. According to the YouMail Robocall Index, in 2018, 47.8 billion robocalls were placed in the US, and just in the first half of 2019, 34 billion calls were made. You’re not imagining that it’s gotten worse – it has.Read More